Welcome to my Blog

Hello!! I have never been one to want to cook but recently I got married to a man that loves food. He loves food so much that he always requests me to cook him something new. As someone that was not a fan of cooking and heck, I was too lazy to cook, I always said no. Then finally, I decided that once we got married I will start cooking for him more. We'll, now here I am and in love with cooking. Since I am still learning the difference between a pot and pan, I have to stick with recipes. One day, I hope to make something from scratch but until then, I hope you can enjoy some recipes and something new once a week. ENJOY!

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Golden Rum Cake

For New Years Eve, we visited Andrew sister in California. We joined her family and friends and decided to hit the slopes in Big Bear. That was such a great trip, I snowboard for the very first time and let's just say, I am not to shabby. The best part of the trip was all the yummy food that they made for everyone. Andrew and myself enjoyed trying new things and I cannot wait to start sharing all her recipes with my friends and family. The first recipe that I made was her rum cake. Andrew and I were going over to our friends, The Carters house for dinner on Saturday night and I told them I would bring the dessert. Since this was my first time making it, I was not sure how it would turn out but it end up turning out quite delicious.

(the picture to the right gives you an idea of what it looks like)


Golden Rum Cake


What do you need:
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 package of yellow cake mix
  • 1 small box of instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup rum (split between 1/2 cup each time) (Captain Morgan rum works best)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Grease a 10 inch bundt pan. I sprayed with Pam Spray throughout the pan to avoid sticking.
  3. Sprinkle chopped nuts evenly over  the bottom of the pan.
  4. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, 4 eggs, 1/2 cup rum, 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup oil.
  5. Blend well.
  6. Pour batter over chopped nuts in the bundt pan.
  7. Bake in oven for 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
  8. Let sit for 10 minutes in the pan.
  9. Then turn cake onto wire rack.
  10. Using a tooth pick, prick a lot of holes into the cake so that the glaze may absorb into the cake.

Now, to make the glaze:
  1. In a sauce pan, combine butter or margarine, 1 1/4 cup water and 1 cup sugar. Bring to a boil and over medium heat, continue to boil for 5 minutes. Stirring constantly.
  2. Remove from the heat and stir in the 1/2 cup rum.
  3. Then with a cooking brush, brush the glaze over the entire cake until all glaze is gone.
  4. Carefully slide onto cake plate.
  5. Wrap securly with a plastic wrap until ready to serve. This helps keep the cake moist.

This is such a yummy cake and very fun to enjoy with friends.